Other names Omberacetam, N-Phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine Ethyl Ester, GVS-111
Some users report Noopept improves their focus, working memory, and mood. But what does the science say about its efficacy for these purposes? Read on to find out.
Read about the effects of Noopept in relation to the amount of evidence we've found
Can noopept enhance your cognitive performance?
In one study , self-administered massage of the head and neck together with noopept improved professional performance in (presumably healthy) elderly teachers when compared with elderly teachers receiving a single dose of the nootropic. The enhancement effect lasted for 1-2 months. However, there are several factors that reduce our ability to make any conclusions about the efficacy of noopept based on this study:
- The study seems to not have been placebo-controlled
- The full text of the study is not available in English (or any other language) so it's hard to know exactly what was found and how the study was conducted
- The self-massage may have been the entire reason for the effects seen (although the fact that effects lasted for months after makes that unlikely)
- The dose of noopept was not mentioned in the English abstract
- It is unclear exactly what the control group did, so perhaps the "enhancement" that was seen in the group taking noopept for several weeks was nothing but a lack of impairment that something they didn't do, but the control group did do, resulted in
To conclude, this study is the only one we've found that has examined the effects of noopept in healthy humans. It does support the notion that noopept is an effective cognitive enhancer. However, it is hard to make any conclusions based on this study considering the severe limitations of the information available.
Noopept for improved mood and reduced nervousness
In a study  in patients with abnormal levels of fatigue, Noopept was used in 10 mg doses twice daily.
Noopept had the following effects:
"Noopept was found to produce positive therapeutic influences on cognitive deficit and neurosis-like symptomatology in patients with emotional lability (asthenic) disorder of vascular origin and post-concussional syndrome."
While these findings are promising for healthy individuals who are looking to improve their mood and reduce their nervousness, they are not from a study in healthy individuals. It is crucial to keep in mind that findings from studies that examined the effects of a substance in diseased people may not reflect the effects of that substance in healthy people. It may be that noopept only helps people with poor mood to get into a decent mood and that it does not help people with a good mood feel even better.
You can read user experience reports and reviews from people who have used noopept in the frequently asked questions section below.
The legality and side effects of Noopept
Frequently asked questions about Noopept
Studies conducted on the effects of Noopept in healthy humans
Last updated Saturday, June 10, 2023